Saturday, June 30, 2007

New and Improved Tam

I finished another tam this week. I was on a quest to modify the pattern to meet my needs. I made a kind of tam/rasta hybrid. I am happy with the results on my second try.

Purple Tam

Yarn: Knit Picks Palette, Purple
Needles: Addi Turbo 16 inch, size 3 and 5
Pattern: Pattern: Basic Tam Pattern from Knitted Tams by Mary Rowe, clockwise swirl decrease
Modifications: increased needle size, lengthened body to 5 inches before decrease

Compare the two tams:

Purple Tam/1st Tam

I had to "unblock" the first tam because the 13 inch plate stretched out the ribbing. It fits okay, like a beret. But I wanted more coverage on my head, not something small that just sits on the top of my head. So I will be giving the first tam away to a friend with a preschooler who likes hats!

Purple Tam

I am very happy with the fit of the purple tam/rasta. And I still only used one 50 gram ball of palette yarn. Three grams to spare actually! Very nice. Since I have so much of this yarn, I am thinking a whole wardrobe of hats, and some quick gifts as well.

Speaking of Knit Picks yarns, they have two new sock yarns out, Risata and Felici. I ordered a couple of each to try them out. I will let you know what I think once I get my little paws on them.

Back in the beginning of the month I mentioned an experiment with a pattern I found online. Then I forgot to update about the results. So sorry... I did finish these before the Brown Sheep trip to try out the Wildfoote sock yarn. I like it, it is kinda like Opal, a sturdy, all-purpose, no fuss sock yarn.

Yoga sock

Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote Deco Lime
Needles: Crystal Palace 2.25mm
Pattern: here
The best part, only 40 grams used for the pair!

another use for the yoga sock

Another use for the yoga socks - fingerless mitts!
Two uses for one pattern!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FWIW, I just finished knitting a pair of big black socks (BBS) for soldiers out of Wildfoote. I found the yarn would split on me a lot. I was using KnitPicks dpns which might have been a bit too heavy for the yarn. But as a result of the experience, I have put Wildfoote on my "never again" list.

2:10 PM  
Blogger kat said...

love thhat purple!

9:16 AM  
Blogger procrastinatingmind said...

I love the purple hat!! and the green yoga socks/fingerless mitts are cool...

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home